My favorite sandwich is this one photographed above by the talented @lindaysb. It’s packed full of veggies and beautiful color. I’ve made a couple for my husband and he loves them as well, yay!
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 slices of lightly toasted bread of your choice, I use a sprouted grain.
- HOPE foods hummus, original (has a nice mellow kick to it)
- 2 large butter lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of an heirloom tomato
- 1 persian cucumber, sliced thinly along the longer dimension
- a handful of shredded red cabbage
- a handful of shredded carrots
- half an avocado, thinly sliced
- a handful of sprouts
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- a sheet of wax paper about 12 inches long
You will want to lightly toast your bread or else it will hurt the top of your mouth while eating this monster of a healthy sammy. Spread HOPE hummus and add lettuce on top of the hummus to both slices. I like to add the cucumbers (place lengthwise), tomatoes, cabbage then the carrots on one toast. On the other toast I will place the avocado on the lettuce and then the sprouts. I add the sea salt and pepper directly to the avocado.
The trick is to flip over the toast with the avocado onto the other side without spilling. I utilize a large knife to help me with this task. Once flipped over, the key is to wrap the stack with wax paper or sandwich paper so the contents don’t collapse when eating. Wrap the sandwich, slice in half, and you’re ready to chow down. I love to pair it with a ginger-lemon kombucha. A perfect meal!